Monday, June 22, 2009

Nikon D90 Macro Lenses - True 1:1 Power!


Photo i took with my 17-50mm lens not true macro.

I'm looking to get my first true 1:1 magnification power macro lens for my D90 and it's a tuff decision for sure. I've put together a list of the most popular true macro lenses for the D90 and I have done a lot of research on all of these but I'm still not sure. I'm leaning towards the Tamron 90mm & the Sigma 105mm which both are highly regarded award winners. Now Tamron has come out with a new 60mm 2.0 macro that also looks great! O'boy just when i had it down between 2 they had to add this little gem.
For me the medium length seems to be what I need. With the 90mm & 105mm length this allows you to stay back further from your subject say for instance a bee on a flower without it flying away. With the shorter lengths like the 50mm and 60mm you might have to get so close the bee would scare away. Also the medium length lenses offer you the ability to use them as a fix focal portrait lens which seems like a good thing to me. Anyway, decisions, decisions I really need to make up my mind, lol

Here's a list for you to check out and read reviews on.

Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro Lens
Sigma 70mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro Lens
Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG Medium Telephoto Macro Lens
New - Sigma 150mm f/2.8 AF APO EX DG OS Macro Lens
New - Tamron AF 60mm f/2.0 SP DI II LD IF 1:1 Macro Lens
Tamron 90mm f/2.8 XR Di 1:1 Macro lens
Nikon 60mm f/2.8G ED AF-S Micro-Nikkor Lens
Nikon 105mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor Lens
New - Nikon 85mm f/3.5G AF-S DX ED VR Micro Nikkor
Tokina AT-X 100mm f/2.8 PRO D Macro Lens

UPDATE: My Tamron 90mm Review - Click Here

UPDATE: I just got the Tamron 90mm 2.8 and i love it...I'll blog a little report soon.

4 comments:

fugufish said...

I just picked up the Tokina 100mm for my D90. So far, it's great...

Scbbbc said...

Fugufish, Thats great! Let see some photos!

Scbbbc said...

UPDATE: I just got the Tamron 90mm 2.8 and i love it...I'll blog a little report soon.

Kev Russell said...

Many years ago, one of my pastimes was photography. Work got in the way however, and it has been quite a number of years since I indulged in this field, over 25 of them to hazard a guess. I have just become the proud owner of a D90. It came with an 18 - 105mm VR zoom lens. I haven't had a chance to play with it much yet, and my main interest is in macro photography. It's interesting to see just what lenses are being used for that task. I can see i'm going to become a regular visitor here. I have to start learning all over again.