Wednesday, April 21, 2010

New Sigma 8-16mm Ultra Wide Angle Lens for the D90!


The NEW Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM is the only one of its kind. This is the first ultra wide zoom lens with a minimum focal length of 8mm, designed specifically for APS-C size image sensors. It has an equivalent angle of view of a 12-24mm lens when used on digital camera with an APS-C size image sensor.

Sigma’s new FLD glass elements, which have the performance equal to fluorite glass, compensate for color aberration. One hybrid aspherical lens and two glass mold elements give excellent correction for distortion and astigmatism. An inner focusing system produces high definition images throughout the entire zoom range and the Super Multi-Layer Coating reduces flare and ghosting while superior peripheral brightness ensures high contrast images throughout the entire zoom range. HSM ensures quiet and high speed AF as well as full-time manual focus capability. It has a minimum focusing distance of 9.4 inches throughout the entire zoom range which allows photographers to emphasize the subject by creating exaggerated perspectives.

This lens has a compact construction with an overall length of 4.2 inches and a maximum diameter of 2.9 inches and is perfect for shooting landscape photography, architecture, building interiors, photojournalism, wedding photography, group pictures and more. New from Sigma, the pioneer of ultra wide-angle lenses.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been enjoying the tips you have on your blog, and related to this post about the ultra wide angle lens...I have a question.

I am an amateur photographer, and I am still trying to get down a basic knowledge about lenses and what makes them all different. I am interested in both an ultra wide angle lens and a macro lens and I am wondering if there is anywhere those things overlap in lens selection? This might be a dumb question, but I have only had my d90 for a few months and am still working with the stock lens. I really want to expand my range and collection and am interested in architectural and close up photography. Can these two combine nicely in one lens, or are they too different? Maybe you can help me to answer this question!

Scbbbc said...

Hey amis246, Thanks for asking! I don't think your going to find a true 1:1 macro that can also be used as true ultra wide lens....that would be cool if there was one! I'm kinda in the same boat, I want both a true macro and a ultra wide lens! I just got the tamron 90mm macro but know i want this new 8-16mm sigma! Then life would be good, lol. Anyway if true 1:1 macro is not that important just look at all the ultra wides and pick the one with the best magnification ratio you can find...

Paul said...

Any photos taken with this lens we could see?
Thanks!

Snooker said...

Sure, throw this at me just as I finally break down and decide to buy the Sigma 10-20! ARGH! ;)

Scbbbc said...

Paul, I dont think it's out yet! I have not seen any sample yet myself....

Scbbbc said...

Snooker, LOL I feel your pain!